Tuesday, March 1, 2016

My Whomping Willow

This is the Whomping Willow from Harry Potter.
And this is the one in my back yard.
Ok, so it's really a kwanzan cherry tree, 
but it looks like a whomping willow.
 That's because of the way it was pruned a couple of years ago.  
For some reason, people around here think that cutting off
all the branches except the thickest ones.
I don't exactly know what the idea is behind this, 
but it's about the worst thing you can do to a tree other than cut it down.
So don't do it.
Anyway, I had the tree and shrub care person at my office come take a look
at the tree as it looks a little sad with some split branches.
I wasn't sure it could be saved.
Luckily, it appears with some fertilizing and controlling Japanese Beetles
and some mild pruning, it will last a while longer.
Some of the roots have come to the surface of the lawn, and since hitting the roots isn't good for the lawn mower
or the tree, I've decided to mulch around the tree.
This is going to be my first outdoor project and I'm anxious to get it started.
I've already pruned, and I spray painted a circle around the tree where I need to remove the grass
now I just need to get out there and do it.
Pretty soon, the tree is going to look like this one,
and I want to be able to enjoy an iced tea at my little patio table under the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment