Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Introductions

A little over a week ago, 
I went to the Maryland Poultry Swap & Farmer's Market
to find some new fox food chickens.
I didn't want to start over with chicks again this late in the year,
so I opted to try to find pullets or hens at the swap.
I wish I had taken the time to snap some photos from the swap,
but honestly, my focus was on finding some chickens.
I'm hoping to go back in September when I'm not so hyper-focused on one goal.
The first chickens I purchased were a pair of 
Plymouth Barred Rocks.
I enjoyed the ones I had before
and I was pleased to be able to grab these two.
(seriously, you have no idea how nuts it is to buy chickens at a swap)
They've been named Thelma and Louise because when they were introduced
to the rest of the flock, Zombie tried to assert her authority and these two gals promptly 
ganged up and whooped Zombie's butt.
Also, Louise still has a handcuff on her ankle
(she's banded).
Thelma
Louise
Along with the two rocks, I also grabbed an Orpington.
She's not quite egg laying age yet, but she will be soon.
I've named her Camilla after Gonzo the Muppet's great love.
Camilla and Gonzo
I wasn't sure that my Camilla had much of a personality 
and didn't think much of her at first
but watching her while I was working on the coop
changed my opinion.
She spent a great deal of time chasing moths, butterflies and bees.
It was quite comical.
When we purchased the rocks and the orpington,
we found out the lady we purchased them from was actually about 20 minutes from our home.
So we drove an hour and 15 minutes to buy chickens from someone 20 minutes away.
The next to join the flock was a black Brahma.
I always like the white Brahma I had named Squatch
(who was tragically killed by a fox a while back).
This guy has several names at the moment.
My son started with Vulcan, then started thinking maybe "Dark" Vader
and my cousin (who joined me at the poultry swap) and I are partial to Hecate.
(Pronunciation for Hecate- Greek: hec-KAH-tea Shakespeare: Heck-et)
Then I needed one more pullet/hen to finish my shopping.
I came across this blue laced Barnevelder
and since the price was right and it was an unusual breed
I grabbed one.
This is Pansy.
She isn't named for the flower, she's named for being, well, a pansy.
She shrieked so loud in the car
I was certain she was being pecked to death in the box.
So I unbuckled, climbed into the back and opened the box.
She was fine but promptly flew out of the box and around the back of the car
before I was able to grab her.
She screams bloody murder every time I enter the coop
and flaps around like a nut running from everything.
I've tried telling her the sky isn't falling, but it does nothing to settle her down.
Pansy and Hecate Vader Vulcan
So, you'd think my chicken shopping adventure would be done.
But, no.
I caught sight of some Silkie chickens and had to have one.
And with that chicken math 
(if you lose 1 extra large jersey giant that means you have room to add an extra bantam chicken)
I talked the hubby into getting
just one more.
This is Yeti.
Of course, as luck would have it, 
Yeti ended up with eye infections.
She's in the chicken hospital and looks to be making a recovery
(I hope since she's my new favorite).

So those are the new chicks on the block.
Plus Zombie, Royal Farms and Lenore
that survived the Great Chicken Massacre of Silver Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment