Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What's For Dinner?

Last night I decided to make something different for dinner.
Spying the ginormous 1foot + zucchini on the counter, 
I opted to try out a baked stuffed zucchini redcipe I spied on Pinterest
(if you don't Pinterest you really should, 
I've used many many many ideas from there from recipes
to wedding ideas to crafting to gardening...)
Unfortunately, because this was spur of the moment, 
I didn't take step by step photos like I normally would.
But because I had so many requests for the recipe, 
I figured I'd blog it without the usual photos.
Fresh out of the oven
Ingredients
Zucchini- I used one giant one,
the original recipe called for 3 small/medium zucchinis
1 medium onion chopped fine (or half, depending on your preference)
2 cloves garlic minced/pressed
2Tbsp sour cream 
1 Roma (paste) tomato seeded and chopped
freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp butter
meat of your choice- I wanted to use Italian sausage but had to use ground pork.
Original recipe calls for bacon but really anything could work here.
seasonings- I used Caribbean Jerk seasoning I made myself and salt and pepper
(as with the meat, anything goes here, salt and pepper, thyme, Italian seasonings...)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375°
cut your zucchini in half lengthwise
using a spoon, scoop out the insides of the zucchini leaving a small edge around the sides
Place scoopings in a bowl for later.
Cook your meat, drain off the grease
In a skillet, cook onion and garlic in the butter until translucent
 add meat and seasonings to the onions and cook together a couple of minutes
chop up the scooped out zucchini into small pieces
mix sour cream into the chopped up zucchini
add meat and onion mixture and tomatoes to the zucchini
mix well
(I also added some cheese to the mix)
stuff the hollowed out zucchini halves with your mix
top with the grated cheese
bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes
I sprinkled more grated cheese on top after removing it from the oven
Enjoy!
This recipe can be altered and changed to suit your personal preferences.
I have plans to use Italian sausage and mozzarella next time for an Italian themed stuffed zucchini.
I also would like to try the bacon. 
Got any ideas? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment