Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wedding DIY: Burlap Tablecloths

If you're like my mother, your first thought about burlap being used as wedding tablecloths is skepticism.
Especially when the plan is to couple it with a lace runner.
Lace and burlap? Really?
But I had a vision.
Plus my goal was to use things for the wedding that can be used later in my every day life.
I use burlap in the garden as a windbreak for the corn,
so I figured whatever I didn't use and/or the used tablecloths
could be used in the garden.
Or to transplant shrubs, etc.
So, on to the wedding part of things....
First, you need your burlap.
I had 21 tables 12 feet long to cover so I needed a large roll.
Don't go to wedding suppliers for burlap!
 I went to Gempler's online and ordered a roll.
 It was much cheaper.
Remember to get the 10oz weight, it's best when using it for decoration.
So once I had my massive (and heavy) roll of burlap,
I had to cut the pieces I needed.
  We determined we wanted about a 3" overhang on the ends so we needed each tablecloth to be 12'6" long.

It took a couple of days to cut them all
(mostly because we had to work around work and other obligations)
 After cutting the burlap,
it was time to attach the lace.
I ordered my lace through Battery Operated Candles
they had the size I needed (9" wide) at a decent price.
Make sure you give yourself plenty of time for shipping.
It took a few weeks for the amount of lace I needed to come in to fill the order.
When ordering, remember that the rolls of lace are not continuous
so you will have small scrap pieces.
You'll need to determine how many runners you can get out of each 10 yard roll
(speaking from experience- I had to order more last minute- and the company was great getting it to me in time).
When attaching the lace to the burlap, you'll need to find the middle of the burlap (in this case 20")
and the lace (4.5") and line them up so the lace is in the middle of the tablecloth.
Then it's time to attach it.
I originally planned to stitch the lace to the burlap.
I scratched that idea and went with hot glue for speed.
I glued the bottom edge of the lace to the burlap then glued the sides down.
You won't need to glue along the entire side,
just every few inches or so depending on how the lace is laying.
At the end, run glue across the bottom end again and attach it.
I don't recommend using a high temp glue gun to do this
as you will end up with burns and blisters.
You need to press the lace onto the burlap and glue does come through a bit
so stick with the low temp gun.
Also, the glue will come through the burlap,
so don't do this on a nice table.
I used a plastic tablecloth to cover the work area and just rubbed off the glue pieces afterwards.
And it's much faster if you have another person helping you.
Big E kept and eye on the position of the lace to make sure it was still centered
so all I had to do was glue.
It went pretty quick that way.
All in all, I was highly pleased with the finished product.
I'm saving some to use in the future for family cookouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment