Wednesday, October 12, 2016

New Floor

 These are photos of the kitchen from last year
before we started doing anything.
 You can see the duct tape patch on the floor
where Miss Bertha sat in her kitchen chair.
 The kitchen "table" at the time
was actually a cabinet and countertop
that we removed.
 We painted the walls and removed the linoleum
to find mostly hardwood floors.
But in the back portion of the kitchen, there was plywood subflooring.
This is the area that was added onto the house after it was built.
The line where the hardwood meets plywood is the original
footprint of the house.
I spent a lot of time worrying over that hardwood.
I went through a ton of possibilities of what I could do to save it.
But in the end, 
the reality that there was concrete under the plywood
and the very worn condition of the hardwood
plus the amount of water the dogs slop everywhere,
I decided to go with my original plan of putting down vinyl tiles.
Big E laid the first one in place.
And here we have a teaching moment.
While talking about the best way to attack the floor, 
I mentioned the instructions on the back of the box.
Big E mentioned he had done this before and wanted to start in a corner along the wall.
I agreed to go with his thoughts as I had never done any of this before.
So we started along the wall.
 It goes pretty easily once you get your first tile in place.
 But you really need to follow instructions on the box.  
Especially when your house doesn't have a straight line in it
to save its life
and you're laying tiles with a checkerboard pattern.
You can see the tiles by the doorway are crooked
compared to the tiles Big E is working on in the photo below.
We ended up needing to order 2 more boxes of tile
to replace what we started using.
Once we got things lined up and on the right track, 
it was simple to gets things put down.
And now we have a shiny new kitchen floor.
I miss the hardwood, 
but I surely don't miss the plywood!
Big E also removed the light fixture above the table.
So all that's left in the kitchen for now
is to get the cabinet painted white.