Thursday, May 8, 2014

Fungus Among Us

So I started seeds indoors.
I wasn't very hopeful that I would have success 
because every time I've done this in the past
I've had all my seedlings die due to 
damping off disease.
This is a disease caused by fungus and/or molds
that are naturally occurring in the potting mix.
It can kill seedlings 
or it can prevent germination.
So, of course, it hit my seedlings again.
For future reference, 
you can sterilize your soil in the microwave by placing it in a microwave safe dish
covering it loosely
and heating on High for 8-10 minutes.
Let it cool on its own before using.
But my problem was happening now.
So here's the remedy I found.
Chamomile Tea.
Yes that herb tea that relaxes you and makes you sleepy
has anti fungal properties.
You boil 2 cups of water, 
make your tea then put it in a spray bottle and use it to water and mist your plants.
The results?
My tomatoes began germinating
and my cabbage, peppers and kale are not dead.
I did lose most of one of the cabbage varieties I had,
however, I did set aside some of the seed to direct sow in the garden.
Now, if only the weather would cooperate so I can get the garden tilled!


No comments:

Post a Comment