Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign

I saw a sign on Pinterest
that I wanted to have for the dining room wall.
But I didn't want to pay for it.
So since I have some pallet wood, stain
and the knowledge to do the lettering,
I opted to make it myself.
I had Big E cut the wood for me
(I'm still trying to convince him to just let me use the miter saw myself).
Then I stained the wood and connected the 3 pieces.
Lettering is actually easier than you think.
Some people use fancy machines to cut vinyl letters
which makes things super easy
(I'd kill for one of those machines).
But since I don't have a fancy machine,
I find a free font I like and print the words using my computer.
Once you have the font size you need,
you rub a pencil along the back side of the letters.
Then position the words and trace with a ballpoint pen.
The pencil graphite will transfer from the back of the paper 
to the wood and leave an outline.
Then you just paint with acrylic paint.
So I was able to make a sign that sells on Etsy for $25 plus S&H
for zero dollars.
I'm pretty pleased with the finished product.
And now I'm eyeing some more sign ideas.
If only I could get Big E to trust me with the saw....

No comments:

Post a Comment