Monday, April 24, 2017

Warning: Fowl Post

Spring has sprung,
and there's a whole bunch of new additions to the coop.
The fowl influx started on Easter with the purchase of 2 ducklings.
That's what happens when you have a grandkid.
On the right we have Scooby-Doo,
and on the left is Shaggy.
Shaggy was named something else by my son, 
but was renamed by the grandson.
This past Saturday I ventured out to the Poultry Swap
 to get some new pullets.
The grandson had some specific requests for new hens.
He wanted an orange chicken
and a green chicken.
He was happy to settle for one that laid green eggs 
after I explained there weren't any green chickens.
So I picked up a Buff Orpington that has been named Velma.
And I got an Easter Egger that has been named Fred
(I'm sure you can tell the grandson's current interest, 
though I'm a Scooby fan from way back).
Let's hope that Fred not only lays green eggs, 
but doesn't live up to the name and lays eggs period.
To finish my purchases, 
I picked up a pearl colored Cochin, a white crested black Polish
and 2 speckled sussex pullets.
AND....
a turkey.
This little guy is a Black Spanish heritage breed turkey.
It's one of the oldest turkey breeds and is in danger of disappearing.
So he will not be eaten.
Or she whatever it is.
Currently the turkey has no name,
but I'm sure I'll think of something eventually.
 So far, the lone hen I already had 
(named Donner because she's a cannibal)
is getting along with everyone.
There is some pecking going on,
but over all I think she's happy to have friends. 
Hopefully everyone will manage to got get eaten or pecked to death.





No comments:

Post a Comment