Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The Rock Salad Garden

With the fabulous weather we've been having, 
Big E and I have been spending spare time doing things in the yard.
The latest task we tackled was cleaning up 
a garden area on the side of the garage.
It's been neglected for a while now,
and I think it is a good spot for a new garden 
for lettuces and kale.
It'll save on the grocery bill for tortoise food.
Not only was it full of weeds and nasty Bermuda grass, 
it also had 5 invasive tree species growing in it.
Apparently, this used to be a rock garden.
Or cement garden.
This is one of 2 piles of cement block that was dug up
and hauled out of the garden.
Once section actually had large pieces of flagstone in it
and resembled a chicken.
Big E wouldn't let me keep it.
 In the end, we got it all dug out, 
and it looks great. 
Again, hard to imagine that there was so much cement
in such a small area.
Not sure if I'm going to make a raised bed, 
or just use it as is.
Either way, I'm glad the area looks better, 
and I'm anxious to get the salad growing
for me and the tortoise.
(Though now we have to clean up the piles of crap we took out of it)



No comments:

Post a Comment