Friday, April 7, 2017

Monster Forsythia

Busy as usual.
Wednesday evening Big E and I worked on 
removing the forsythia shrubs at the back of the yard.
Forsythia are very misleading.
Like icebergs.
They look manageable enough, 
but underneath is this massive root ball leviathan.
Big E was convinced the easiest thing to do was sell the house
and buy one without forsythia shrubs that need removal.
Big E had attempted to use his saws-all to cut through the roots, 
but the roots just wore the teeth off the blade.
I made the suggestion that we dig around the shrub
and use loppers to cut roots as we go.
He scoffed at this idea.
I suggested using the chain to pull them out, 
so off I went to get the chain from my dad.
On the way back, this was the text I received:

I wanted to make sure that everyone saw the actual proof
that I was right..... again.
Anyway, we hitched up the chain
and popped the first stump out.
The second was a little different.
It took several tried before the thing even budged, 
but it the end it popped out too.
We had to remove the dirt from the root ball,
and when I jumped in the hole it was up past my knees.
Huge job accomplished,
now we need to get to work on the veggie garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment