Sunday, March 30, 2014

Happy Trails, Old Girl

 On Saturday evening,
I went down the barn to feed the horses.
Sadly, I found our old girl Chessie dead in her stall.
While not shocked at her passing
(she was about 29 and had been laying down more and more
and having trouble getting up),
it still stung.
The day we first met Chessie
 Losing any pet or animal stings
because they always become part of your family
even the chickens.
But losing a horse seems bigger.
Like the next level is losing a human.
Horses are your work partners.
They carry you around the pasture,
along trails,
over logs and fences,
 through streams.
Brat Child riding, he said he was going to ride her forever
They tolerate extra weight on their back
and small feet flailing at their sides.
Chessie meeting the love of her life Wilbur- who also passed away
When you get a young horse,
your relationship can last more than 20 years.
That's longer than most marriages.
 And if you're like me,
a horse is someone you talk to.
Someone you can wrap your arms around and press your face in thier neck
and cry about whatever injustices you're enduring.
And not be judged.
So, 
while I tried to tell myself she was old 
and I shouldn't get too upset because it was, afterall,
her time
and I knew it
there's tears
knowing that the riding and conversations are ending.
 The chapter has ended
I've closed the book
much like I closed the stall door where she lay.
Photo Credit to my mom who took this one morning going down to feed the horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment