Thursday, January 2, 2014

Good Luck Beans

For years I've heard about how it's good luck 
to eat greens, black eyed peas and pork and sauerkraut
on New Year's Day.
It occured to me that I've never fixed this particular meal
on this specific day
and maybe that's what I'm always so desparate
for the New Year to be better.
So...
I threw some sauerkraut and porkchops in the crockpot 
and made up a black eyed pea recipe.
I chopped up a piece of ham steak
(I wanted a ham hock or shank but the store was out)
I didn't use the whole piece of ham.
I saved the leftover to throw in my egg in the morning for breakfast.
I chopped up some fresh kale.
And by fresh I mean I went outside and picked it from the garden.
I didn't use all of it as I was unsure about liking it
so I just saved the leftovers for throwing in a scramble egg.
I threw in 2 cans of black eyed peas.
I'd rather use dry, but I had a time issue.
I added some chicken broth and a little salt
and simmered it on the stove for a couple of hours.
I was quite pleased with it
and plan on making it as a side in the future.
 Here's the lucky meal,
black eyed peas, mashed cauliflower (in keeping with the low carb diet)
pork chop and sauerkraut.

So why do you eat all this?
Pork- said to bring luck in the coming year.
Black Eyed Peas and greens- because they resemble money (greens dollars and peas coins) it's said they will bring you good fortune.
Sauerkraut- an old German tradition says you should eat sour cabbage  for a sweet new year.

Here's to a luckier, healthier, happier New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment