Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Just Peachy!

Since I've managed to conquer my fear of canning
I've become a canning fool.
I have scoured canning cookbooks and marked recipes I want to try:
Brandied Apple Rings, Applesauce, 
Mint Jelly
and my famous Chicken Corn Soup
(though I'm still slightly apprehensive about canning meat).
When I went to the local store and saw they had some peaches, 
I grabbed some of those for some jam
(because Big E loves peaches and I love Big E)
The recipe I used was delish!

Vanilla Peach Jam

Ingredients:
8 cups peeled and chopped peaches (about 7 large peaches)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 vanilla bean (or 3 tsp of pure vanilla extract)
2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp Bourbon (optional)
 
Put the peaches, lemon juice and sugar in a heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven
slice the vanilla beacn in half lengthwise and using the flat side of the knife
scrape out the seeds and place in pot along with the pod
(or dump in 3 tsp of pure vanilla extract like I did)
Bring to boil then reduce to a simmer.
Add the bourbon now if you're using it.
I didn't because I didn't have any
but next time I think I'll try it
(it's supposed to enhance the flavor of the vanilla)
 
Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours
stirring occasionally
Allow to cool slightly 
then ladle into jelly jars discarding the bean pods.
I canned this in a water bath canning method
for 20 minutes.

This was super easy to make because it didn't require constant stirring or attention
and used only a few ingredients.
It's definitely on the list to make more!
Plus, it made the entire house smell fantastic
and it tasted fantastic as well.
Can't wait to have some on some vanilla ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment