Friday, August 2, 2013

Preserving Pumpkins

It might seem a little early to start talking about pumpkins,
but I had some that were ripe.
Actually, I only had 1 ripe one,
but because the pumpkin vines were decimated
I wanted to preserve what I had.
This is a pretty easy method that doesn't require peeling the pumpkin.


First, Cut off the stem and cut the pumpkin in half.
Oh, and preheat the oven to 350

Scoop out the guts with a spoon.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray 
and place the pumpkins flat on the sheet.

Bake at 350 until they're done.  
I don't have a specific time to cook them.
Small pumpkins won't take long, thick pumpkins will.
Basically you want the inside mushy.

Scoop out the pumpkin with a spoon
leaving the shell behind.

Let it cool
then bag it up and freeze.

I was thrilled with how easy this was.
This year, my pumpkin cookies will be made completely from scratch!
And I decided to plant  another hill of pumpkins
(and hope I can keep the squash bugs at bay).
Even though we won't have them for Halloween,
we'll have them for pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread and pumpkin cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment